Reach Higher is an initiative created by First Lady Michelle Obama with the aim of inspiring every student in America to take charge of their future by continuing and completing their education after high school, whether at a professional training program, a community college, or a four-year college or university.
In Massachusetts, a group of educators, organization representatives and policy makers have come together to form Reach Higher Massachusetts to spearhead efforts to bring the Reach Higher initiative to schools and organizations across the Commonwealth who are in a postion to make commitments which help more students obtain post-secondary education.
The Reacher Higher MA initiative will help make sure all students understand what they need to complete their education, including:
- Ensuring all students graduate from high school college and career ready
- Exposing students to college and career opportunities
- Encouraging academic planning and summer learning opportunities
- Understanding financial aid eligibility that can make college affordability a reality
- Supporting high school counselors who can help more students learn about and navigate the college search and application process
To learn more about Reach Higher Massachusetts, click here.
Reach Higher Massachusetts will be led by a Leadership Team consisting of eight individuals representing key organizations which are heavily invested in increasing career and college readiness. A Guiding Coalition representing additional organizations and associations will meet quarterly to discuss updates, activities and progress of the initiative.
Organizations, school districts and individuals interested in joining Reach Higher should complete the Reach Higher Massachusetts Membership Application. Questions regarding Reach Higher Massachusetts can be sent to ReachHigherMA@gmail.com. Interested individuals can also attend a Reach Higher Massachusetts Guiding Coalition meeting.
2016-2017 Meeting Schedule*
- December 1, 2016 – MassEdCo Offices, 484 Main Street, Worcester, MA
- March 30, 2017 – location TBA
- June 29, 2017 – location TBA
*All meetings are 8:30-11:30 AM.