What does it mean to be a Future Ready community?
Your community understands that all students must be prepared for the education and training they will need to succeed in whatever postsecondary pathway they choose. And, Future Ready communities provide the support and action needed to help their young people reach their goals! Future Ready Massachusetts provides information and strategies for making a local impact.
Steps communities must take:
- The path to being a Future Ready community starts with a strong team. Yours should include representatives of K-12 education, higher education, the business community and mentoring and community based organizations that support youth. The leading organizations must be committed to establishing strong communications channels among everyone involved with children and youth.
- Develop a Plan. To build a Future Ready community you need a plan.
- Set measurable goals that will support students in your community. Examples may include raising the percentage of students reading proficiently by 3rd grade, improving attendance rates or lowering dropout rates.
- Build a deep understanding of community assets by identifying the activities, programs and initiatives designed to address each of the community goals. Build on these assets to strengthen, expand and coordinate existing efforts and replicate promising practices and models from outside the community.
- Communicate your goals. Make sure citizens know how community resources are working together to achieve them. Develop and implement a communications plan developed in concert with the statewide campaign that leverages the key messages of Future Ready Massachusetts—Start Now, Aim High, and Look Beyond—to reach your local goals.
- Collect and use data to set baselines and track progress. Conducting polls or surveys in your community to get the perspective of post-secondary educators, employers, parents and students on their experiences related to college and career readiness. Identify what data is currently readily available and access it to measure success!